Saturday, March 24, 2012

Joey Gerardi - Celebrating People of Fragile X Syndrome

A few years ago I was absolutely, jaw-dropped, stunned when my son's doctor advised my wife and I that my son, with severe disabilities, needed a team of caregivers.  For over 30 years, we had tried so hard to avoid burdening family, friends and our community with any care for our son.  It turns out that to our family, to our friends and to our community, my son's care/burden is their blessing.

Meet Joey Gerardi.  He has Fragile X Syndrome.  Joey's parents are firm believers in Self Determination for Joey.  It is working!  He and his team of caregivers have a remarkable burden-free story to share with us all.





Joey's caregivers show amazing love toward Joey, don't they?  Each of his caregivers are joyfully connected with him.  We all have caregivers!  There is one who cares for us more than all of the others, however. 

I am reminded of how much the Lord Jesus wants to care for us and be connected with us!  You have heard it said by Jesus "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.  Place my yoke over your shoulders, and learn from me, because I am gentle and humble. Then you will find rest for yourselves."  Matthew 11:29  (GWT)

Just before saying this, Jesus had actually announced to the crowds of Galilee that "My Father has turned everything over to me."  Wow!  Really?  So what is the first thing Jesus tells the crowd after this omnipotent and omniscient announcement?  Jesus turns to them (and us) and assures us that, with all of the power of the universe, He wants to be our personal caregiver!

My hope is that you accept His care and share His care with those very special people, like Joey Gerardi.

This is the "Worship For All blog.  It has a heavenly ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment